Toxic Plants In Your Home

You may be surprised to learn that many plants around our home and garden are poisonous and may be toxic to our furry friends! 

It is believed that no plant can be labelled truly ‘safe’ as they all impact different systems in the body in some way or another. Symptoms range from mild to highly toxic, even if only ingested in a small amount. Common symptoms to look out for include vomiting, diarrhoea, weakness, lethargy, loss of appetite, shock, tremors, depression and paralysis. 

We have compiled a list of common house plants and flowers that are toxic to cats and dogs: 

  • Cannabis (whether from the plant, leftover matter or edibles, this is one of the most common plant poisoning seen in dogs)
  • Lilies (Very common in the home and often given as gifts, lilies such as the peace lily, calla lily, Easter lily and Tiger lily are highly toxic for pets and potentially fatal to cats)
  • Sagos Palms
  • Ivy
  • Philodendrons
  • Chinese Evergreen
  • Rubber Tree Plant
  • Asparagus 
  • Lantana 
  •  Aloe Vera (despite being considered a medicinal plant for humans, Aloe Vera is toxic to our pets)
  • Tulips
  • Holly
  • Daffodils

Our pets are curious creatures and love to investigate by chewing, biting and licking almost anything and everything! This can include flowers and plants, and unfortunately, even a beautiful bouquet can be toxic to our pets!

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and plants can have various names so, it is best to check all names when assessing their safety risk. If you suspect your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, contact your local vet immediately or your closest Emergency Veterinary Service hospital.

For an A-Z list of toxic plants you can refer to the below website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll Up